Daily P&F Breakouts and Breakdowns in the US Market
Please refer to post 11 before use and don't take liquor or illegal substances either.Smile

.ods   DJ US SUB SECTOR INDICES - STAGES.ods (Size: 15.97 KB / Downloads: 93)
.xls   DJ US SUB SECTOR INDICES - STAGES.xls (Size: 16 KB / Downloads: 106)
I don't have open office on my machine and a lot of other people won't as well. Any chance you can export it from open office as an Excel file? As Excel can't open it, and will obviously be more useful the more people that can view it as the majority will have Excel imo.
isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
(09-04-2013, 03:29 PM)isatrader Wrote: I've added the .ods file type to the allowed attachments, so you should be able to upload that now? But let me know if it's a different file type you have.

Thanks, that looks to have done the trick the file .ods file should appear now.

Quote:I did initially filter the stocks by their industry sectors i.e. automobiles, banks, biotechnology etc. But I forgot to last night. Is that how you'd like them to be filtered? or do you want by the major sector groups i.e. Consumer Discretionary, Financials etc?

The former please, by the DJ US sub sectors not the major sectors. I see now you did that before.

Quote:Also, if a filetype you are using comes up as not allowed then you can also archive it in a .zip file and you can upload that.

Useful info, I'll try an remember that for the future.

Just a word on the spread sheet, it's not perfect. I compiled it from a quick click through stockcharts without analysing the "a's" or "b's of stages 1 and 3. The astrix in the left hand column was put there to indicate that the sub sector is either close to transition or a sub sector worth looking through for opportunities. The "a's" and "b's" in stages 2 or 4 are obviously subjective but are there to indicate that the stock has either had a good run up or down.

I'l l have a look to see if there is a facility to convert to excel.
(09-04-2013, 03:56 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote: Please refer to post 11 before use and don't take liquor or illegal substances either.Smile

Yep, this is working for me now, as can open the excel file. I'll have a look through

Cheers
isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
(09-04-2013, 05:00 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 03:56 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote: Please refer to post 11 before use and don't take liquor or illegal substances either.Smile

Yep, this is working for me now, as can open the excel file. I'll have a look through

Cheers

Good, the latest version of excel I could convert too was 1997/2000/XP. If anyone sees any mistakes in the spreadsheet please shout out.
Below is the table of today's breakouts and breakdowns in the US market. There was 40 breakouts and 26 breakdowns, which I've ordered by industry group.

As you can see there was multiple breakouts in the Pharmaceuticals sector today, and a number of breakdowns in the Pipelines sector

US Market Breakouts - 4/9/13

US Market Breakdowns - 4/9/13

isatrader

Going through the lists and comparing the stocks with the stages that the relevant DJ US indices are exhibiting I noticed I missed the internet index. Stage 2 for anyone using the spreadsheet above, just add it manually, I'll let you work out the major sector if you want to complete that bit Smile

I have got the pharmaceuticals in stage 3 but with it not breaking the 30 wma it could easily be still in a stage 2 consolidation. Owing to the general market turning bearish and what looks like a head and shoulders pattern forming in the index I thought it best to call it a 3 for now.

Oh, and thanks for sorting them in industry order David.
(09-05-2013, 12:44 AM)goodtyneguy Wrote: Going through the lists and comparing the stocks with the stages that the relevant DJ US indices are exhibiting I noticed I missed the internet index. Stage 2 for anyone using the spreadsheet above, just add it manually, I'll let you work out the major sector if you want to complete that bit Smile

I have got the pharmaceuticals in stage 3 but with it not breaking the 30 wma it could easily be still in a stage 2 consolidation. Owing to the general market turning bearish and what looks like a head and shoulders pattern forming in the index I thought it best to call it a 3 for now.

Oh, and thanks for sorting them in industry order David.

I think you are missing quite a few DJ US Sectors. I have quite a few more in my spreadsheet which I've attached with the tickers for you, although some are things like small cap value indexes.

However, that's all the DJ Sub Sectors I believe, and after looking at the Complete Industry Listing for S&P Sectors page here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/indust...ECTOR_SPDR that would be the same as my breakdowns industry column, there's much less. So probably best to go with the stockcharts Complete Industry Listing page in the link.

Attached Files
.xlsx   us_industry_sectors.xlsx (Size: 42.38 KB / Downloads: 213)
isatrader