Daily P&F Breakouts and Breakdowns in the US Market

RE: Daily P&F Breakouts and Breakdowns in the US Market

(04-11-2019, 10:25 PM)isatrader Wrote: Thursday 11 April 2019

There was 57 P&F Double top breakouts and 33 P&F Double bottom breakdowns on Thursday. Attached are the stock lists

Subjectively it looks to me like the overall volume is down but it is generally bullish.

(04-11-2019, 11:32 PM)pcabc Wrote: Subjectively it looks to me like the overall volume is down but it is generally bullish.

The cumulative line is making new short term highs above a rising 20 and 50 day MA. So the signal is on risk on mode. And the short term oscillators are above their zero lines, but not yet at extreme levels. So imo suggests there's room to manoeuvre still from these measures.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(04-12-2019, 07:42 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 11:32 PM)pcabc Wrote: Subjectively it looks to me like the overall volume is down but it is generally bullish.

The cumulative line is making new short term highs above a rising 20 and 50 day MA. So the signal is on risk on mode. And the short term oscillators are above their zero lines, but not yet at extreme levels. So imo suggests there's room to manoeuvre still from these measures.

Over the last week I seem to be seeing breakouts but on low volume.  For example MCD today.

Sorry if I have missed it, but why did you pick 20 and 50 day MA's for your cumulative line MAs?  I'm wondering if shorter averages work better on breadth indicators as it seems to turn fast enough, weeks,  that a 150 day MA does not have time to evolve much.

(04-12-2019, 09:06 PM)pcabc Wrote: Sorry if I have missed it, but why did you pick 20 and 50 day MA's for your cumulative line MAs?  I'm wondering if shorter averages work better on breadth indicators as it seems to turn fast enough, weeks,  that a 150 day MA does not have time to evolve much.

They are just arbitrary standard short term moving averages, and with this breadth measure I was looking for a way to identify short term swings in the market sentiment. So a long MA like the 150 day wouldn't be any use for that, as it would only catch longer term moves. I could use other short term MAs, but found the 20 day caught the swings well enough for my purposes, and the 50 day is good slower short term MA for confirmation of the 20 day signals.

The moving averages are not the only part of the signals though, as I tend to like to see a short term breakout or breakdown in the cumulative line too if possible if it's consolidated before crossing the MA. But you don't always get that, so I use the crosses of the 20 day MA on the cumulative line and the positions of the 10, 20, 50 and 200 day MA oscillators to determine whether it's on risk on or risk off mode. As the combination of the info from all the P&F breadth charts is normally enough to give a good guide of whether I need to be more cautious or more aggressive, and so makes it one of my favourite breadth measures.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(04-13-2019, 12:23 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 09:06 PM)pcabc Wrote: Sorry if I have missed it, but why did you pick 20 and 50 day MA's for your cumulative line MAs?  I'm wondering if shorter averages work better on breadth indicators as it seems to turn fast enough, weeks,  that a 150 day MA does not have time to evolve much.

They are just arbitrary standard short term moving averages, and with this breadth measure I was looking for a way to identify short term swings in the market sentiment. So a long MA like the 150 day wouldn't be any use for that, as it would only catch longer term moves. I could use other short term MAs, but found the 20 day caught the swings well enough for my purposes, and the 50 day is good slower short term MA for confirmation of the 20 day signals.

The moving averages are not the only part of the signals though, as I tend to like to see a short term breakout or breakdown in the cumulative line too if possible if it's consolidated before crossing the MA. But you don't always get that, so I use the crosses of the 20 day MA on the cumulative line and the positions of the 10, 20, 50 and 200 day MA oscillators to determine whether it's on risk on or risk off mode. As the combination of the info from all the P&F breadth charts is normally enough to give a good guide of whether I need to be more cautious or more aggressive,  and so makes it one of my favourite breadth measures.

It is interesting that you say that, as the MACD's of the cumulative advance/decline, cumulative advancing/declining volume, cumulative new highs minus new lows, and the index itself, all moved positive a couple of days before you remarked on the strengthening in your indicator.  All semi-related aspects of the same base data set I suppose.  I do need to do a bit more work though, as in rationalizing my coding to make a screener from it I have temporarily broken my back testing.

Friday 12 April 2019

There was 122 P&F Double top breakouts and 40 P&F Double bottom breakdowns on Friday. Attached are the stock lists

Attached Files
.csv   pnf_breakouts_12-4-19.csv (Size: 11 KB / Downloads: 10)
.csv   pnf_breakdowns_12-4-19.csv (Size: 3.82 KB / Downloads: 9)
isatrader

Monday 15 April 2019

There was 41 P&F Double top breakouts and 34 P&F Double bottom breakdowns on Monday. Attached are the stock lists

Attached Files
.csv   pnf_breakouts_15-4-19.csv (Size: 4.02 KB / Downloads: 11)
.csv   pnf_breakdowns_15-4-19.csv (Size: 3.22 KB / Downloads: 8)
isatrader

Tuesday 16 April 2019

There was 76 P&F Double top breakouts and 57 P&F Double bottom breakdowns on Tuesday. Attached are the stock lists

Attached Files
.csv   pnf_breakouts_16-4-19.csv (Size: 7.15 KB / Downloads: 8)
.csv   pnf_breakdowns_16-4-19.csv (Size: 5.38 KB / Downloads: 5)
isatrader