Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - isatrader - 2014-05-10

Updated breadth stats for the top 300 UK stocks:

Price above 50 day MA: 122 (40.6%)
Price above 150 day MA: 159 (53%)
Price above 200 day MA: 179 (59.6%)

So a slight improvement on the longer term measures over the last month, and a bigger improvement on the short term. But all still mid range.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - Tryst - 2014-05-10

(2014-05-09, 07:35 PM)pcabc Wrote: National grid is breaking out past least years peak:

However, volume not showing any rise.

Caveat, used EMA150 rather than MA150 (daily). Relative strength relative to MIDD.L - might not be exactly the same as your calcs.

I think NG. could be a good defensive play if the market overall market does move into a stage 4A. The utilities sector in the US is one of two sectors that is still has 70% over the 150 day MA. In the LSE the Gas/Water/Utilities is in a stage three but done ok this last week.

(2014-05-09, 11:06 PM)pcabc Wrote: A number of REITs seem to be on the cusp of breaking out of continuations. However, volume does not look good. I've noted GPOR, SREI, HMSO & BLND.

Volume should be increasing on the breakout of a consolidation/continuation pattern. While the consolidation/continuation is forming, volume can be normal/light.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-05-11

Here's this weeks UK stocks for the long watchlist - VLS.L (Stage 1B), GEMD.L (Stage 1B), AXS.L (Stage 2), IND.L (Stage 2A), CTG.L (Stage 2 continuation), STT.L (Stage 2 continuation)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-05-11

Short watchlist - PFC.L (Stage 1-, also see the monthly chart), IAE.L (Stage 3), HINT.L (Stage 4), IAG.L (Stage 3A), DTY.L (Stage 3B), THT.L (Stage 3A), OPAY.L (Stage 3A), EXPN.L (Stage 4), CPR.L (Stage 4), WPP.L (Stage 3), ALU.L (Stage 3B), CRST.L (Stage 3), IOM.L (Stage 3B), SLN.L (Stage 3A)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - pcabc - 2014-05-11

(2014-05-10, 08:26 PM)Tryst Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 07:35 PM)pcabc Wrote: National grid is breaking out past least years peak:

However, volume not showing any rise.

Caveat, used EMA150 rather than MA150 (daily). Relative strength relative to MIDD.L - might not be exactly the same as your calcs.

I think NG. could be a good defensive play if the market overall market does move into a stage 4A. The utilities sector in the US is one of two sectors that is still has 70% over the 150 day MA. In the LSE the Gas/Water/Utilities is in a stage three but done ok this last week.

I'm already in NG. I bought shares in my local electricity board when they were floated and subsequently added to them. I must have made back the cost of the purchases several time in dividends alone - albeit over many many years. Sold the relevent SSE shares when they dipped earlier in recent months.

Using stage analysis I should perhaps have binned NG in June 13 - but I stuck with it seeing the previous months action as a blip, everything was running up. Though hindsight is fine I wonder what the best strategy would have been? I think in this case stage analysis meant I would have sold them just at the start of the long ramp up following that blip.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - isatrader - 2014-05-11

(2014-05-11, 06:52 PM)pcabc Wrote: Using stage analysis I should perhaps have binned NG in June 13 - but I stuck with it seeing the previous months action as a blip, everything was running up. Though hindsight is fine I wonder what the best strategy would have been? I think in this case stage analysis meant I would have sold them just at the start of the long ramp up following that blip.

No, although a very sharp pullback, the investor stop loss wasn't violated in June 13, and so sticking with it was the right thing to do per the methods rules. Plus the market was still in Stage 2, although the FTSE was looking a bit ropey at that point.

(2014-05-11, 07:06 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-05-11, 06:52 PM)pcabc Wrote: Using stage analysis I should perhaps have binned NG in June 13 - but I stuck with it seeing the previous months action as a blip, everything was running up. Though hindsight is fine I wonder what the best strategy would have been? I think in this case stage analysis meant I would have sold them just at the start of the long ramp up following that blip.

No, although a very sharp pullback, the investor stop loss wasn't violated in June 13, and so sticking with it was the right thing to do per the methods rules. Plus the market was still in Stage 2, although the FTSE was looking a bit ropey at that point.
Yes, I suppose any stop from the previous low would have been around 780. The sharp pullback was what got me searching and caused me to find Weinstein's book. I'd suspected the rapid rise of the coulple months previous was too good to last long and wanted my plan B worked out.

I think the FTSE has been ropey all the way since then.

A short? SHI.L

Two more shorts perhaps? BHY.L & RWA.L. I've not checked the sector performance.