Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Atweed - 2018-11-20

Here's a daily screen that I run in prorealtime's free screener that finds stocks with daily volume greater than two times the 200 day average; a price that's higher than the previous days; a 10 day moving average that's higher than the previous days 10 day moving average, and finally it is ranked in order of the highest percentage move compared to it's 200 day Average True Range (ATR).

Below is the code:

Code:
indicator1 = Volume
indicator2 = Average[200](Volume)
c1 = (indicator1 > (indicator2*2))

c2= Close[0] > Close[1]

c3= Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

Condition1 = (Close[0]-Close[1]) / AverageTrueRange[200](close)

SCREENER[c1 AND c2 AND c3] (Condition1 AS "ATR change")

Hey isa,
Just wondering, how do you configure the price range for the stocks shown? i.e. on the breakouts and breakdowns list, the stocks listed are of a normal price range (not $0.3 or $2000). Likewise above, i can stop my dependancy on you for a potential stock list. 

Cheers,
Atweed.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2018-11-20

(2018-11-20, 09:34 PM)Atweed Wrote: Just wondering, how do you configure the price range for the stocks shown? i.e. on the breakouts and breakdowns list, the stocks listed are of a normal price range (not $0.3 or $2000). Likewise above, i can stop my dependancy on you for a potential stock list. 

With proreatime I set up multiple scans with different price ranges, so that I can avoid all of the micro caps etc. Just add another condition to only list stocks above $5 etc. Not sure of the exact code as not in prorealtime but would assume with the above code you'd just add an extra condition. i.e.

c4= Close[0] > 5

and then call it with the others:

SCREENER[c1 AND c2 AND c3 AND c4] (Condition1 AS "ATR change")

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2019-03-24

HGM:

Not sure if I'd go into the UK market or gold miners without back-testing.  May ponder this one.  Might consider this if it goes to 175, outstanding volume..  It does look like something is happening with the miners.  However, I don't think we have the same strong situation like we had a few years back.

Pete

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2019-04-13

A number of UK listed Investment Trusts are getting near breakout.

I like the look of HGT as the volume looks textbook.  It has not quite broken out.

Others, SCAM, MNKS, JRS, & JMG:

I've not had luck with investment trusts previously so I think a little caution is needed.

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Silversensei - 2019-05-29

Is this a textbook breakout or too good to be true? (Still learning)

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Silversensei - 2019-05-29

Another one ? Broke resistance with volume

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2019-05-29

(2019-05-29, 03:58 AM)Silversensei Wrote: Is this a textbook breakout or too good to be true? (Still learning)

You should not take my word as gospel on this as I've not fully cracked it.  However, the issue with this one is that you would need to wait for this to pull back before entering, it could pull back a long way.  The difficulty with pullbacks is you don't know how deep they are, but there is a reasonable likelihood of a pullback.

If the blue line is the 50 day / 10 week MA it is a long way above this.  The breakout in my view is about 3.7. To drop from 4.9 to 3.7 is 24%, so you could loose that before getting near any stop loss.

Also, when I checked, the spread was about 4%.  Therefore, ignoring other costs, you would be instantly 4% down if you bought this one.

There is the potential for a large loss here, in my view.

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-05-29

(2019-05-29, 03:58 AM)Silversensei Wrote: Is this a textbook breakout or too good to be true? (Still learning)

It's not a textbook breakout as the weekly volume requirement is not there yet, but it's a shorter week, so was good relative volume on the daily chart yesterday, and you'd want to see that continue through the week. As the volume should be at least 2 times the 4 week average volume by the close on Friday. But was a strong move yesterday to breakout above the feb high. You also should look at its sector, and what its peers are doing.

A difficult one in terms of risk management imo at this point, as it has a 4% spread as I type, and no recent consolidation for the stop loss position, and being very small is going to be more volatile. So you would need to be very careful with your position sizing too.

But an interesting looking chart pattern though, but risk on this one is high.