Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - Tryst - 2015-04-07

Below are some great charts showing very clearly a stair stepping approach to price appreciation. They show better on the daily chart so have attached daily charts.

One of the best performerss last year was OXB. You can see in its chart how it built up its base and then performed step ups on each price move, then consolidated, and either tested the previous steps high or went down and touched the rising longer terms based moving averages. Beyond step for this equity goes parabolic, but still remains above the 50 day MA. A disciplined trader (not quite me yet!) could have made a lot of money here, especially when pyramiding up their expose on each new step upwards. Not sure if anyone has read about DOW Theory, but the principles of this can also be visualized in this stocks daily chart.

The next equity, which Isatrader has also flagged here over the previous months, is ASOS (ASC.L). It has come out of its base (Stage 1) and is now breaking out, applying a similar stair stepping price ascendancy as OXB.L, except that ASC.L has not yet gone parabolic. I missed this opportunity unfortunately as I didn't pull the trigger when the price hit support at 2140, Either way, it is a great technical structure to observe and cement into the conscience in case similar patterns play out in the future.

OXB.L

ASC.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - malaguti - 2015-04-07

breaking out on weekly, continuation on monthly for Mars

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - isatrader - 2015-04-07

A few for the UK long watchlist tonight - CGL.L, DMGT.L (Stage 2A), HAT.L (Stage 1B), OPAY.L, PAG.L, RGU.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - pcabc - 2015-04-07

(2015-04-07, 03:08 PM)Tryst Wrote: Below are some great charts showing very clearly a stair stepping approach to price appreciation. They show better on the daily chart so have attached daily charts.

Is this stair stepping approach defined in the book or elsewhere? I've seen it occur with a number of stocks. I find it a bit frustrating to deal with as breakouts seem to be over in a day and then the flat portions go on for months. Good profits seem to be able to be had but the risk is that you buy something and then inevitably sit for months at a loss or tiny profit waiting to see if it will step again.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - isatrader - 2015-04-07

(2015-04-07, 08:46 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2015-04-07, 03:08 PM)Tryst Wrote: Below are some great charts showing very clearly a stair stepping approach to price appreciation. They show better on the daily chart so have attached daily charts.

Is this stair stepping approach defined in the book or elsewhere? I've seen it occur with a number of stocks. I find it a bit frustrating to deal with as breakouts seem to be over in a day and then the flat portions go on for months. Good profits seem to be able to be had but the risk is that you buy something and then inevitably sit for months at a loss or tiny profit waiting to see if it will step again.

It's not in Weinstein's book, but have seen something similar in the book I'm reading currently which is The Perfect Speculator: How to Win Big in Up Markets and Lose Nothing in Down Markets and is only a few pounds on amazon if you buy the digital version of the book. Is interesting so far and focuses solely on price and volume, but is aimed at newer investors I think.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - isatrader - 2015-04-08

Here's today's additions to the UK long watchlist - RMV.L, QED.L (Stage 1), HRI.L, NTG.L, HSS.L (early Stage 2A attempt), VOG.L (Stage 1B), GRI.L (Stage 2A), RWA.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium) - pcabc - 2015-04-08

Some longs, continuation breakout, ADT.L:

Pullbacks, ARM.L & BEZ.L:

(2015-04-07, 08:52 PM)isatrader Wrote: It's not in Weinstein's book, but have seen something similar in the book I'm reading currently which is The Perfect Speculator: How to Win Big in Up Markets and Lose Nothing in Down Markets and is only a few pounds on amazon if you buy the digital version of the book. Is interesting so far and focuses solely on price and volume, but is aimed at newer investors I think.

Thanks. Ordered it. It is not on Kobo so I ordered a paper one. Not so sure about the 'telling a story' fictional narrative. However, it seemed well liked.

UK Cumulative P&F Breakouts - Breakdowns - isatrader - 2015-04-09

I've been tracking the UK Cumulative P&F Breakouts - Breakdowns since the beginning of the year when stockcharts started listing UK stocks, so now it's built up three months of data I thought I'd show it for the first time. It works exactly the same as the S&P 500 version that I post each week in the market breadth extra thread.

The black line is the Cumulative P&F Breakouts minus the Breakdowns, and the red line is the 20 day MA of the cumulative line, and the green line is the 50 day MA of the cumulative line. Signals tend to be bullish when it's above the 20 day MA, neutral when it's below it but above the 50 day MA still, and a sell when it's below the 50 day MA, or the cumulative line breaks below support from a previous low. Currently it's accelerating to new highs after it's recent pullback to the 20 day MA.

I think it should make a very useful addition for the UK members, as it gives a clear view of what's going on under the surface. And decent breadth charts for the UK market is an area that is lacking, so I think this will be an invaluable tool for timing like the US version has already become.