Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - Sartois - 2018-04-19

Hi,

More of an admin question here I'm afraid, but I can't find anywhere else to put it - I wanted to message another member about some Sharescope coding, but the system is telling me I'm not allowed. I'm registered, so I think I should be able to - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Sartois

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-04-19

(2018-04-19, 04:33 PM)Sartois Wrote: Hi, More of an admin question here I'm afraid, but I can't find anywhere else to put it - I wanted to message another member about some Sharescope coding, but the system is telling me I'm not allowed. I'm registered, so I think I should be able to - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Sartois

Try now, I've updated the system so you should be able to use the private messaging now.

RE: Beginners Questions - Sartois - 2018-04-19

Great, it's working now - thanks.

Sartois

RE: Beginners Questions - arkyuan - 2018-04-20

Hi guys,
I'm new. I just finish with the book and I have few questions...
What tool does everyone use to screen the stocks and what are some screen conditions you recommend? There is a thread for code for scanners, is it still relevant? what's the difference for stockcharts and prorealtime? I read that stockcharts is mainly for US and need a subscription to get zero line? what about prorealtime?
my plan is to follow the buying process recommended in the book which means
a screener for the over all market trend (I invest mostly in US) based on P/D ratio, world market average chart, weekly high low figure, momentum index, A-D (stuff from the book)
a screener for the strong sectors,
and few strong stocks in that sector ,not sure if it's doable, maybe based on resistance,volume, RP, head & shoulder bottom, double-barreled action, big base etc... and filter out manually according to the sectors myself
maybe another screener for the triple confirmation pattern

then I think I should be able to pick up a few stock based on the results?
I hope I'm on the right path...if not let me know,
thanks,

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-04-20

(2018-04-20, 01:31 AM)arkyuan Wrote: Hi guys,
I'm new. I just finish with the book and I have few questions...
What tool does everyone use to screen the stocks and what are some screen conditions you recommend? There is a thread for code for scanners, is it still relevant? what's the difference for stockcharts and prorealtime? I read that stockcharts is mainly for US and need a subscription to get zero line? what about prorealtime?
my plan is to follow the buying process recommended in the book which means
a screener for the over all market trend (I invest mostly in US) based on P/D ratio, world market average chart, weekly high low figure, momentum index, A-D (stuff from the book)
a screener for the strong sectors,
and few strong stocks in that sector ,not sure if it's doable, maybe based on resistance,volume, RP, head & shoulder bottom, double-barreled action, big base etc... and filter out manually according to the sectors myself
maybe another screener for the triple confirmation pattern

then I think I should be able to pick up a few stock based on the results?
I hope I'm on the right path...if not let me know,
thanks,

Hi Arkyuan, welcome to the site

I've used multiple tools over the years for screening, but the two I use the most is stockcharts.com and prorealtime. Although I'm sure any screener that lets you custom code your scans and indicators will do. As you need to be able to custom code the scans in order to focus the scans on the requirements that you are looking for, and exclude stocks that clog up the scans that you wouldn't trade. Which for example for me is over the counter stocks in the US.

The thread for Code for Stock Scanners is still completely relevant. I posted a number of scans that can be used in the free prorealtime scanner, as well as a couple that I use in the stockcharts scanner which is a paid for service.

It's great that you want to get stuck in after reading the book. However, take your time and practice the Stages first. Get to know the transitions between the stages and where the entry points would be. As once you have a good grasp of the Stages you can then move on to learning the market breadth indicators and refining the stocks candidates that you are looking at based on the the key criteria - Price action, Volume, Relative performance versus the market and Resistance.

I created a basic checklist in the following thread to help with that: Stage Analysis Breakout Quality Checklist

There's lots to learn. So take it slowly, but if you do jump in quickly then make sure you are at a minimum managing your risk.

I hope that helps.

RE: Beginners Questions - ethanchong - 2018-04-20

Hi guys,

I just finish the book and thank god i found this site. I have a question about the "volume". So i learned that "significant volume" is very important indicator for Stage 2 breakout. But does it matter the volume is in Gray or Red color? (i'm using Stockchart.com)

My understanding is, Gray color means more buyers than seller, thus price go up. Red color means more seller than buyers, thus price go down.

What if the volume increase significantly, double/triple more compare to prior weeks, but the color is in red?

RE: Beginners Questions - badcharts - 2018-04-20

Hi!

You cannot have a stage 2 breakout candle being red. By nature a breakout candle will have a non-red color (same goes for the volume indicator).

Inverst everything for a stage 4 breakdown.

Does this makes sense?

Regards,

Patrick

quote='ethanchong' pid='12003' dateline='1524227669']
Hi guys,

I just finish the book and thank god i found this site. I have a question about the "volume". So i learned that "significant volume" is very important indicator for Stage 2 breakout. But does it matter the volume is in Gray or Red color? (i'm using Stockchart.com)

My understanding is, Gray color means more buyers than seller, thus price go up. Red color means more seller than buyers, thus price go down.

What if the volume increase significantly, double/triple more compare to prior weeks, but the color is in red?
[/quote]

RE: Beginners Questions - ethanchong - 2018-04-23

Yup, thanks Patrick!