Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - yamikep - 2017-07-21

Thanks for the response kero. Smile

Yes, I am still new and still need to work on it.

Out of curiosity, what tools/website/etc do you guys use to find stocks, to do your analysis for entry/exit points and track your positions along the way?

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2017-07-23

(2017-07-21, 02:58 PM)yamikep Wrote: Thanks for the response kero. Smile

Yes, I am still new and still need to work on it.

Out of curiosity, what tools/website/etc do you guys use to find stocks, to do your analysis for entry/exit points and track your positions along the way?

Considering your screenshot, I'd say the same as you: ProRealTime, on the French market. All my stocks' search and screening is done on it. I also use some other websites (Zonebourse, Morningstar) to have informations about stocks' sectors, dividends, and so on...

RE: Beginners Questions - yamikep - 2017-07-24

And how do you screen / pre-select the stocks?
What are your criteria? (if you don't mind sharing)

Thanks

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2017-07-24

(2017-07-24, 02:56 PM)yamikep Wrote: And how do you screen / pre-select the stocks?

Two methods: for one, I use the lists that are already available. I just watch at the stocks and decide which are - graphically speaking - interesting for a trade. I also use screeners, that I coded myself for prorealtime. Learning to code is interesting for that.

(2017-07-24, 02:56 PM)yamikep Wrote: What are your criteria? (if you don't mind sharing)

Well basically, the ones coming from the book of Weinstein. I look for stocks which are in phase 1 and seems to be going to a breakout. I Check if there is not some resistance risk.

The only difference is that I don't consider the sectors anymore. I consider that sector filtering rises to many problems (stocks that have different activites, stocks that are in a "bad" sector but in a market niche, and so on).

RE: Beginners Questions - Yoseph - 2017-08-03

Where does one find "mansfield chart service"? I googled it but didn't find anything.
I have found relevant charts for individual stocks. So I'm mostly interested in market sector charts. There are very broad market sector ETFs like SPDR ETFs and I can plot Mansfield Relative Strength for them without any problem. But I need more specialized sector charts like Aluminum sector (like chart 7.10 in Weinstein's book). I can't find any specialized sector charts like that. Thanks.

RE: Beginners Questions - Red Barron - 2017-11-08

Hi, I just started use PreRealTime, the only free charting website that I could figure out how to plot out all the additional indicators that isatrader recommends for a weekly chart (30MA, a couple simple moving averages, Mansfield Relative Strength Performance, MA for Relative Strength, Force Index, MACD). Weinstein uses weekly charts (weekly frequencies/periods). Do you use weekly charts just to do the initial screening and then switch to daily charts when you get close to making the trade/placing the order? If so, what are all the indicator settings you use for a daily chart? The problem I have with weekly charts is the volume indicator. According to Weinstein, the volume on breakout should be at least double the average volume of the previous 4 weeks. But how do you calculate that accurately when the stock is breaking out early or mid week? So early in the week, the volume for that week is unlikely to be double the average of the previous 4 weeks.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2017-11-08

(2017-11-08, 12:00 AM)Red Barron Wrote: Hi, I just started use PreRealTime, the only free charting website that I could figure out how to plot out all the additional indicators that isatrader recommends for a weekly chart (30MA, a couple simple moving averages, Mansfield Relative Strength Performance, MA for Relative Strength, Force Index, MACD). Weinstein uses weekly charts (weekly frequencies/periods). Do you use weekly charts just to do the initial screening and then switch to daily charts when you get close to making the trade/placing the order? If so, what are all the indicator settings you use for a daily chart? The problem I have with weekly charts is the volume indicator. According to Weinstein, the volume on breakout should be at least double the average volume of the previous 4 weeks. But how do you calculate that accurately when the stock is breaking out early or mid week? So early in the week, the volume for that week is unlikely to be double the average of the previous 4 weeks.

You can see the chart settings for weekly and daily on the following thread: https://stageanalysis.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=47

On the other questions, it might take a bit of reading through the threads, but they have been discussed in quite a lot of detail over the years so is worth looking for.

For a quick answer on the volume. If the breakout is early in the week I estimate what the weekly volume might be by the end of the week based on the days volume. The daily volume on the breakout should be at least 3 times the daily average anyway (I use 200 day average volume). So that is usually more than half the weekly average when that happens or even better more than 2x weekly average on that single day, so there a good chance it will make it to the 2x weekly requirement if strong on the breakout day as money tends to follow money, and if it doesn't it a good sign to take an quick exit, as you only want to be in the stocks with A+ potential. As opportunity costs are key.

RE: Beginners Questions - tradersync - 2017-11-15

(2015-06-09, 04:30 PM)Amedee Wrote: I am trying out this one for the moment.
Looks promising for risk management and reviewing your trades. Have a look Idea

https://tradebench.com/trading-journal-features

Just wondering, how was your experience with the software? If I may suggest, here an alternative trading journal application that can be easier to manage: https://www.tradersync.com/