Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - jacko666 - 2017-01-26

(2017-01-25, 01:43 PM)jacko666 Wrote: What do you reckon to HUN and RUSHA as continuation buys for a trader?

Also, any idea why volume readings would be vastly different between yahoo finance and stockcharts.com? Ive attached the images, I'm talking about volume on Jan 25th. We're talking a difference of over 3 million. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

RE: Beginners Questions - jacko666 - 2017-01-28

Also, any idea why volume readings would be vastly different between yahoo finance and stockcharts.com? Ive attached the images, I'm talking about volume on Jan 25th. We're talking a difference of over 3 million. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.
[/quote]

Ignore the last question, they match now. Yahoo Finance obviously slower at updating the charts.

RE: Beginners Questions - weiyitan84 - 2017-06-19

Hi,

I am keen to understand further on the 4 stages of stock movement. From my understanding the stock chart in the link below shows a Stage 1-2, but somehow it has broken the 200day MA from the top, does this mean that it has become a stage 4 stock now?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2017-06-19

(2017-06-19, 09:10 AM)weiyitan84 Wrote: I am keen to understand further on the 4 stages of stock movement. From my understanding the stock chart in the link below shows a Stage 1-2, but somehow it has broken the 200day MA from the top, does this mean that it has become a stage 4 stock now?

No, it's just means that the Stage 2 breakout has likely failed, and that it's fallen back into the Stage 1 range. But that does happen often.

RE: Beginners Questions - koohleung - 2017-07-02

As far as I understand, you will risk "(entry price - stop loss price) x number of shares" on every position. What is the percentage of this amount with "capital" as denominator? And what do you think should the maximum number of positions in an account be?

RE: Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2017-07-02

(2017-07-02, 04:33 PM)koohleung Wrote: As far as I understand, you will risk "(entry price - stop loss price) x number of shares" on every position. What is the percentage of this amount with "capital" as denominator? And what do you think should the maximum number of positions in an account be?

Unfortunately you need to factor in the spread, costs of buying and selling and any currency exchange costs as well.

RE: Beginners Questions - yamikep - 2017-07-19

Hi,

It all makes sense in theory after reading the book but I am having a hard time applying everything in practice.

1) For example, I am not sure where I should (should have) exit on the stock below (LNA).
I don't really see that the 30-week MA is flattening out to increase my exit point, yet it looks like I should get out of this stock now that it has lost more than 10% rapidly. What do you think?

2) Also, in general, do you feel that the stage analysis method as it was explained by Stan is somehow not working nowadays because of the high volatility of the market where a stock would lose a lot in a couple days?

Thanks

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2017-07-20

yamikep,

1) For now you shouldn't have exited. In Weinstein's original formula, for now you do nothing, you only wait that the stocks moves back near to the precedent top (around 67€) and only at that point, you move your stoploss under correction low and the weekly MM30.

2) I'm not sure volatility is greather today than in the 1980'. Today as before, you have high volatile stocks and low volatile stocks. What I can say, is that now that I worked on it for about 2 years, the Weinstein method is working for me (specially the Investor method; trader method still needs to be increased).