Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-09-30

Can anyone help on stop losses when averaging up. Is it best to put a second stop loss in to protect the second buy as you would do if it was your only buy. Or do you go all in and work by pulling up your old stop loss and have all the stock on that one stop loss.

The stock is HGM, orange link is my old stop loss, red is my new stop loss. Should the whole position be on the red stop loss or just the original buy and the second buy goes on the purple line?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-02

(2016-09-30, 10:53 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Can anyone help on stop losses when averaging up. Is it best to put a second stop loss in to protect the second buy as you would do if it was your only buy. Or do you go all in and work by pulling up your old stop loss and have all the stock on that one stop loss.

The stock is HGM, orange link is my old stop loss, red is my new stop loss. Should the whole position be on the red stop loss or just the original buy and the second buy goes on the purple line?

My personal opinion would be to go all in on a new stop loss, as if it's made a continuation and there's a new higher valid stop loss position, then that would be the position for both, as you move up your stop loss in the method as it approachs the old highs if there's a valid place to move it too.

So in this case, as it's made a continuation, the old stop loss would be moved up to the new position imo. And hence both positions would use that one.

RE: Beginners Questions - Geester - 2016-10-05

Hello there,

New to trading but found, bought and read Weinstein's book and really like it. I'm currently looking at software to help with the charting and one I've looked at (and like) only allows you to specify MAs in days.

To achieve the 30 & 10 week MAs, should multiple the weeks required by 5 or 7 days?

Many thanks indeed.

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-10-05

Are gold stocks in a stage 3? It seems that 30w ave is flattening and maybe a neckline forming... If I am right I would expect a bounce off the neckline and then finally a breakdown.

Anyone else with a different take on gold stocks.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-05

(2016-10-05, 02:55 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Are gold stocks in a stage 3? It seems that 30w ave is flattening and maybe a neckline forming... If I am right I would expect a bounce off the neckline and then finally a breakdown.

Yep, the breakdown yesterday puts Dollar Gold potentially into early Stage 3A if it closes the week below the 30 week MA. This doesn't however mean it will necessarily breakdown into Stage 4, as Stage 3 can go either way, and often will take many months to resolve.

(2016-10-05, 02:55 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Are gold stocks in a stage 3? It seems that 30w ave is flattening and maybe a neckline forming... If I am right I would expect a bounce off the neckline and then finally a breakdown.

Hello there,

Newbie to this forum, Weinstein and investing! If you have a moment, could you tell me on this Gold chart which part of it represents the Mansfield Relative Strength (as opposed to RSI) and the volume indicators?

I'm looking at charting software and am trying to find something that gives Stan's 10 + 30 weeks MAs, volume and Mansfield RS.

Cheers!

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-05

(2016-10-05, 02:35 PM)Geester Wrote: Hello there,

New to trading but found, bought and read Weinstein's book and really like it. I'm currently looking at software to help with the charting and one I've looked at (and like) only allows you to specify MAs in days.

To achieve the 30 & 10 week MAs, should multiple the weeks required by 5 or 7 days?

Many thanks indeed.

Trading days are 5 days a week, so the daily MA equivalents to use are the 50 day MA for the 10 week and the 150 day MA for the 30 week.

(2016-10-05, 03:14 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-10-05, 02:35 PM)Geester Wrote: Hello there,

Many thanks indeed.

Trading days are 5 days a week, so the daily MA equivalents to use are the 50 day MA for the 10 week and the 150 day MA for the 30 week.

Thank you so much!