Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-03, 06:16 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Can anyone give advice on buying the point B pull back. If I remember correctly Stan talked about buying the pull back towards the breakout or 30 week ave. I don't like to watch the market but like to set orders. I have set orders for the breakout price a number of times and they have not been filled. So I am not sure the best way to set my orders for the point B (as Stan called it). Example shows stock that I am thinking to enter but not sure where to put my order. I would like to put it at 109 (breakout price) which gives 11% downside risk IMO, but feel again I will miss the stock.

Just as an update on GTLY. Using the 2 hour chart it came back and almost touched the breakout (perfect). I missed it, as was on holiday and not watch the stock but Stan's idea was sound.

RE: Beginners Questions - odlareg - 2016-08-23

(2016-08-07, 02:29 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-08-06, 07:08 PM)malaguti Wrote: Has anyone used options with this method? Just curious
I've read that vs stocks there is a much greater return with very similar risks..

I'd be interested to know this as well, including some examples of the actual costs of making options trades.

I suggest you take a look at www.pitbullinvestor.com/tradefinder. He is only doing options. He works with Measured Moves (MM). It is a bit simular with continuation breaks outs. When you select the closed trades section, you can see the results.

It is a paid service. Be careful with the link , as I have the feeling i'm in through the back door.Big Grin

He doesn't look to volume. I wonder if volume had saved him from some losses.

RE: Beginners Questions - Sartois - 2016-09-11

Hi all,

I was wondering what people use to assess the US (presumably S&P500) sectors. For UK stocks, I've been using the FTSE350 sectors, but can't find an equivalent for the US stocks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sartois

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-09-11

(2016-09-11, 10:51 PM)Sartois Wrote: Hi all,

I was wondering what people use to assess the US (presumably S&P500) sectors. For UK stocks, I've been using the FTSE350 sectors, but can't find an equivalent for the US stocks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sartois

Go to http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html#&S=PD&O=2 and you'll find all 100+ US sectors which you can see charts of the sectors or click into to see the individual stocks in each.

RE: Beginners Questions - Sartois - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-11, 10:55 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-09-11, 10:51 PM)Sartois Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks,

Sartois

Go to http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html#&S=PD&O=2 and you'll find all 100+ US sectors which you can see charts of the sectors or click into to see the individual stocks in each.

Great, thanks. Smile

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-09-19

HUR.L - seems to be trying to make a continuation breakout, question is should we be buying as the vol is not that great? You can see this best on the daily chart as its all happening in a matter of hours/days not weeks.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-09-19

(2016-09-19, 02:12 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: HUR.L - seems to be trying to make a continuation breakout, question is should we be buying as the vol is not that great? You can see this best on the daily chart as its all happening in a matter of hours/days not weeks.

Part of the reason I sold HUR.L when I did, was because it was very thinnly traded, but it hasn't stopped it going higher. So it may not be an issue

RE: Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2016-09-19

(2016-09-19, 06:49 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 02:12 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: HUR.L - seems to be trying to make a continuation breakout, question is should we be buying as the vol is not that great? You can see this best on the daily chart as its all happening in a matter of hours/days not weeks.

Part of the reason I sold HUR.L when I did, was because it was very thinnly traded, but it hasn't stopped it going higher. So it may not be an issue

It can be interesting to look at volume x price to get an idea of the amount of money traded per day. For HUR.L it looks to be in the 100's of thousands of pounds to millions a day. On some of the small caps it can be very low indeed.