Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - rjay - 2016-06-14

OK, thanks. I think that part of their website is broken actually. If I use the search box I can still find the individual interviews.

I had a question which I haven't managed to find an answer to in the book: if there are more suitable candidates than my portfolio size allows, how should I best rank the candidates I've found ? The ones that have the nearest consolidation base, thereby giving a better R:R ? Those with the highest relative strength ? Or in the sectors with the highest relative strength ?

There's a number of criteria one could use when there are "too many" opportunities, and it's probably partly down to personal preference but did Stan shed any light on this ?

RE: Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2016-06-14

(2016-06-14, 10:34 PM)rjay Wrote: I had a question which I haven't managed to find an answer to in the book: if there are more suitable candidates than my portfolio size allows, how should I best rank the candidates I've found ? The ones that have the nearest consolidation base, thereby giving a better R:R ? Those with the highest relative strength ? Or in the sectors with the highest relative strength ?

There's a number of criteria one could use when there are "too many" opportunities, and it's probably partly down to personal preference but did Stan shed any light on this ?

My understanding from the book was that you considered all aspects and then pick the best over all.

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2016-06-22

In Europe, the perspective of the Brexit is clearly now the major topic of financial (and non-financial) comments/commentators. The general idea being that right now in this moment, it is better to avoid dealing with stock markets, because the volatility could increase drastically after 23. June.

Stan Weinstein, basically, doesn't consider the "newsflow" as a criterium to decide whether to trade or not to trade (well, IIRC). And generally, neither do I, considering that "everything is in the tape".

I'm not even sure that the referendum is gonna have such an impact as some commentators say on market. I have some feeling that the real impact is weaker than what the general opinion sais.

Still: considering that I still have a little experience, for this week I decided to stay out of the market. I only have a look on my existing positions (4 positions in 2 accounts for now), but I don't enter.

How do you people deal with that kind of situation, according with Stan Weinstein view of stock markets ?

RE: Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2016-06-22

(2016-06-22, 05:34 PM)kero Wrote: In Europe, the perspective of the Brexit is clearly now the major topic of financial (and non-financial) comments/commentators. ...

Really I don't think there is anyway of predicting what will happen.

RE: Beginners Questions - barra - 2016-06-22

According to stan weistein , there is no way to deal with that kind of event.
Actually and very unfortunately I will be on an aircraft over the atlantic ocean during the night fron thursday to friday. But a cross position in EUR/USD or EUR/GBP (1 sell and 1 buy with closed stoploss) would have been appreciated...
For long terme perspectives, EUR/USD over 1.14-1.15 or under 1.11 may be a good option.

BArra

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2016-06-23

(2016-06-22, 10:35 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2016-06-22, 05:34 PM)kero Wrote: In Europe, the perspective of the Brexit is clearly now the major topic of financial (and non-financial) comments/commentators. ...

Really I don't think there is anyway of predicting what will happen.

Obviously I wouldn't even try. Neither would I get some position in prevision of a big move.

I was more wondering if you also avoid to touch the market in this special context.

RE: Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2016-06-23

(2016-06-23, 03:39 PM)kero Wrote:
(2016-06-22, 10:35 PM)pcabc Wrote: Really I don't think there is anyway of predicting what will happen.

Obviously I wouldn't even try. Neither would I get some position in prevision of a big move.

I was more wondering if you also avoid to touch the market in this special context.

Where I can set stop losses I've set them tight. Where I can't I've sold one and reduced another of my positions that I consider the weakest. But this is after consideration of my overall situation so should not be an indication to others.

RE: Beginners Questions - kero - 2016-06-23

Well, it's never applicable "as it", but it's always interesting to understand the underlying philosophy of other people's strategy. Wink

As a general rule, my main mistake in trading is that i'm still not defensive enough. Exposing myself to much to risks. Though I'm working on it.