Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-29, 10:58 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi, Rick,

I use ProRealTime software. It is a paid for service as I get intraday prices (Which I hardly use tbh) but you can get a free version of it for end of day and weekly prices. The screening software in this is very good. It has online manuals to help you set up and code screeners.

Thanks! Downloading now. Weekly will be all I'll need since I'm approaching this from the investor method point of view. If you have suggestions on screener settings to best identify Stage 1 stocks heading into Stage 2, I'm all ears Smile

RE: Beginners Questions - StageAnalysis - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 02:37 AM)mongoose1969 Wrote: Thanks! Downloading now. Weekly will be all I'll need since I'm approaching this from the investor method point of view. If you have suggestions on screener settings to best identify Stage 1 stocks heading into Stage 2, I'm all ears Smile

Here's a daily screen that I run in prorealtime's free screener that finds stocks with daily volume greater than two times the 200 day average; a price that's higher than the previous days; a 10 day moving average that's higher than the previous days 10 day moving average, and finally it is ranked in order of the highest percentage move compared to it's 200 day Average True Range (ATR).

Below is the code:

Code:
indicator1 = Volume
indicator2 = Average[200](Volume)
c1 = (indicator1 > (indicator2*2))

c2= Close[0] > Close[1]

c3= Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

Condition1 = (Close[0]-Close[1]) / AverageTrueRange[200](close)

SCREENER[c1 AND c2 AND c3] (Condition1 AS "ATR change")

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 07:25 PM)StageAnalysis Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 02:37 AM)mongoose1969 Wrote: Thanks! Downloading now. Weekly will be all I'll need since I'm approaching this from the investor method point of view. If you have suggestions on screener settings to best identify Stage 1 stocks heading into Stage 2, I'm all ears Smile

Here's a daily screen that I run in prorealtime's free screener that finds stocks with daily volume greater than two times the 200 day average; a price that's higher than the previous days; a 10 day moving average that's higher than the previous days 10 day moving average, and finally it is ranked in order of the highest percentage move compared to it's 200 day Average True Range (ATR).

Below is the code:

Code:
indicator1 = Volume

c2= Close[0] > Close[1]

Thanks! So in theory, I can adjust this to weekly based on the investor approach, right?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 07:37 PM)mongoose1969 Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 07:25 PM)StageAnalysis Wrote:

Below is the code:

Code:
indicator1 = Volume

c2= Close[0] > Close[1]

Thanks! So in theory, I can adjust this to weekly based on the investor approach, right?

leave the scan as is and just set your view to weekly charts. Although I find it easier to identify the stages by having the monthly, weekly and daily charts all in view at the same time.

I posted my setup previously in pro real time in the beginner thread I think.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2015-11-30

Here's the setup I use to view that scan. Simply order the results by the strongest ATR move, and then go through them one by one to look for potential Stage Analysis candidates.

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2015-12-01

(2015-11-30, 11:36 PM)isatrader Wrote: Here's the setup I use to view that scan. Simply order the results by the strongest ATR move, and then go through them one by one to look for potential Stage Analysis candidates.

Thanks! I'll go in and set up the scan. I found a post of yours to help me set up the charts. Digging this software (especially because it free!). Not super user friendly but once I got the hang of it, it's making sense.

Next question...I'm assuming you set up a scan for each sector in the S&P 500 to determine market trend. I found those on the stockcharts website. If I'm off base on that, let me know.

I'm off on the hunt!

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2015-12-01

I spent some time with the newly formed screener last night and all the stocks it screened appear to me to look more like stocks screened for a trader method than an investor method. Looking back through his book and the graphics in both the book and this thread, should the investor method screen ignore volume (in theory, we are trying to predict when the breakout is going to occur so volume wouldn't be large yet) and attempt to screen for pricing below the 30 day moving average?

Here are the conditions I set in an attempt to duplicate the investor method graphic in the book. Am I in error by doing it this way?

indicator1 = close
indicator2 = close
c1 = (indicator1 >= indicator2[1])

indicator3 = close
indicator4 = Average[30](close)
c2 = (indicator3 <= indicator4)

indicator5 = Average[30](close)
indicator6 = Average[30](close)
c3 = (indicator5 >= indicator6[1])

SCREENER[c1 AND c2 AND c3] ((close/DClose(1)-1)*100 AS "%Chg yest.")

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2015-12-01

(2015-12-01, 02:55 PM)mongoose1969 Wrote: I spent some time with the newly formed screener last night and all the stocks it screened appear to me to look more like stocks screened for a trader method than an investor method. Looking back through his book and the graphics in both the book and this thread, should the investor method screen ignore volume (in theory, we are trying to predict when the breakout is going to occur so volume wouldn't be large yet) and attempt to screen for pricing below the 30 day moving average?

Here are the conditions I set in an attempt to duplicate the investor method graphic in the book. Am I in error by doing it this way?

The volume component is critical to the method, so for a weekly volume of over two times the weekly average to occur you first need to have a large daily move, and then by the end of the week it will might meet the weekly requirement. If you only look for the completed weekly move, then you will miss the Stage 2A breakout level, as breakouts are fast. So I don't recommend changing the settings of this screen, as large daily moves are necessary for the weekly requirements to be met.

To help understand the method I'd recommend the Stage Analysis Study Guide - Questions and Answers thread, as go deeper into how it works from my research over the years.