Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2014-06-22

(2014-06-16, 04:53 PM)MalcolmSm1th Wrote: Thanks, Shaun. However, I can't seem to find anything. I will give them a call tomorrow as I could use a pointless exercise talking to someone on a Help Desk.

I use ETX or gekko (now ayondo) and between these two I can generally short anything I like..ayondo doesn't have the best spreads, but a good feature is being able to adjust the leverage such that you don't have to pay any overnight charges

RE: Beginners Questions - JimStudent - 2014-07-02

First, Isatrader - Congratulations!

Second, Stan Weinstein tracks the New York and Amex Unweighted Averages against a moving average as a long term indicator, NYUA and AUA. What are they and what would be the symbols would I use at stockcharts.com to find them?

RE: Beginners Questions - MalcolmSm1th - 2014-07-02

(2014-06-22, 10:35 PM)malaguti Wrote: I use ETX or gekko (now ayondo) and between these two I can generally short anything I like..ayondo doesn't have the best spreads, but a good feature is being able to adjust the leverage such that you don't have to pay any overnight charges

Thanks, malaguti, I shall use them when I think that the market is going to turn. I have leapt in early with some Barclays shorts and they're doing not bad but I will tighten up the stops later on today.

RE: Beginners Questions - theory6453 - 2014-07-02

Hey Isa,

I'd like to create a scan in StockCharts to track breakouts/breakdowns with heavy volume... very similar to what you and Shaun seem to be doing... Any advice on how to set this up or criterion to use?

I guess the minimum threshold would be where Volume (daily?, weekly?, etc...) is greater than 2x the 52-week average volume. Any other suggestions? If you happen to have a screenshot of how to program this in StockCharts (hopefully you are still using this) would also be super-helpful!

Cheers!

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-07-03

Here's the code for a daily scan that I use in stockcharts as a starting point. I then put the results into a chartlist and then view the weekly charts using the 10 Per Page view, so I can quickly go through them and search for any potential candidates.

Code:
[type is stock] AND [country = US] and [Daily Close > Yesterday's Daily Close] AND [Daily SMA(10,Daily Close) > Yesterday's Daily SMA(10,Daily Close)] and [volume > sma(200, volume) * 3] and [market cap > 50] and [exchange != OTCBB] and [exchange != OTCMKT] and [exchange != AMEX]

RE: Beginners Questions - theory6453 - 2014-07-03

(2014-07-03, 11:01 AM)isatrader Wrote: Here's the code for a daily scan that I use in stockcharts as a starting point. I then put the results into a chartlist and then view the weekly charts using the 10 Per Page view, so I can quickly go through them and search for any potential candidates.

Code:
[type is stock] AND [country = US] and [Daily Close > Yesterday's Daily Close] AND [Daily SMA(10,Daily Close) > Yesterday's Daily SMA(10,Daily Close)] and [volume > sma(200, volume) * 3] and [market cap > 50] and [exchange != OTCBB] and [exchange != OTCMKT] and [exchange != AMEX]

I ran that scan but no results came back... Would you mind also posting the code for your backup "Volume Daily 3x minimum US2" scan as well when you get a sec?

Thanks again!
Mike

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-07-03

(2014-07-03, 11:01 AM)isatrader Wrote: I ran that scan but no results came back... Would you mind also posting the code for your backup "Volume Daily 3x minimum US2" scan as well when you get a sec?

It depends when you run it as it's looking for stocks with 3 times their average daily volume. So if you run it at the open before they've traded much volume then you won't get any results. Change the dropdown to "Last market close" to get yesterdays results, and adjust the volume setting in the code [volume > sma(200, volume) * 3] to 1 instead of 3 i.e. change it to [volume > sma(200, volume) * 1] if you are doing an early in the day scan with the intraday settings.

I find it best to wait until 11.30am EST before running the 3x volume scan as it gives the market a few hours to settle. But before that adjust the volume figure to 1 or 2 as if it's traded it's average daily volume in the first hour or so, then you can usually assume that it will easily make the 3 times daily volume requirement by the end of the day.

RE: Beginners Questions - theory6453 - 2014-07-03

(2014-07-03, 03:01 PM)isatrader Wrote: It depends when you run it as it's looking for stocks with 3 times their average daily volume. So if you run it at the open before they've traded much volume then you won't get any results. Change the dropdown to "Last market close" to get yesterdays results, and adjust the volume setting in the code [volume > sma(200, volume) * 3] to 1 instead of 3 i.e. change it to [volume > sma(200, volume) * 1] if you are doing an early in the day scan with the intraday settings.

I find it best to wait until 11.30am EST before running the 3x volume scan as it gives the market a few hours to settle. But before that adjust the volume figure to 1 or 2 as if it's traded it's average daily volume in the first hour or so, then you can usually assume that it will easily make the 3 times daily volume requirement by the end of the day.

Makes sense to me! Thanks!!