Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - AzzMcD - 2014-04-23

(2014-04-23, 11:31 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 11:25 PM)AzzMcD Wrote: I thought I should be a level up from the list on the link?http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html? Look at the chart for each overall sector, then go deeper? What do you think? I also found a list here http://www.asx.com.au/products/sector-indices.htm#asx_lic_index that seemed pretty good. Is my list accurate? Still to set up the analysis, what you see is just realtimepro screening. Your thoughts please Iastrader, thank you Azz

Yep, it looks like they are the major sectors in the ASX market from the website you found, so it is a good place to start your sector analysis.

Thanks Man, nice to know I'm on the right track.
Cheers Azz

Elite Membership - isatrader - 2014-04-26

Quote:***********************************************
SPECIAL OFFER:

Permanent Access to the Elite Members Board

Stage analysis is now offering a new premium option for our members to have permanent access to the Elite Members board for a one off fee until the 30th April 2014. This option gives you a significant saving over the long term, as it's less than half the cost of the annual membership fees, so I'd recommend this option for all members that regularly use the Stage Analysis site.

What does Elite Access give you:
  • US Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - each day we highlight the stocks and ETFs in the US market that are showing the price action, volume and relative performance attributes that Stan Weinstein's method looks for.
  • Daily P&F Breakouts and Breakdowns in the US Market - we scan over 5000 stocks every night in the US market and list the double top breakouts and double bottom breakdowns each day
  • Market Breadth Extra - an in-depth look at numerous market breadth indicators such as the Advance Decline indicators, New High New Lows, Moving Average breadth charts, NYSE Bullish Percent Index, and many more including custom breadth charts exclusive to the site
  • UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - highlighting stocks daily from the UK market that are showing the price action, volume and relative performance attributes that we look for with Stan Weinstein's method.
  • Stop Loss Positioning Guide - analysis of the stop loss placement from actual examples in Weinstein's Global Trend Alert (GTA) Newsletter
  • Members Threads - create your own space on the board to journal your trading, or just to have a scrapbook for your charts and thoughts on potential trades you are watching etc
  • Learn the Four Stages - example charts of the various stages to help learn how to identify the Stages correctly
  • Plus much more to come...
To become an Elite Member please subscribe via PayPal on the front page of the forum here: Premium Services using the Buy Now button.

Remember this special offer price is only available until 30th April 2014.

RE: Beginners Questions - Tom - 2014-04-27

I would like to get some advice on how to analyze the two stocks I own and also how to improve my trading method. Thanks in advance!

First one is MSO. I purchased MSO at 3.58 on 2013-12-02 and sold half of the positions at 4.76 Feb 25th since there was resistance from two years ago. Later MSO reached 2 year high on March 3rd then dropped to 3.8 now which is closed to its 30 weeks MA. I am thinking of repurchasing it back if the volume and price go up for 2,3 days. What's your thoughts? and What would you handle the other half position differently as a trader or investor?

Second question regarding to MPET. Purchased it at 1.29 on 2014-02-26 and sold half positions at 1.65 on 2014-04-04 as there were some resistance around 1.7 three years back. Now it's price went up to $2 and the reason seems to be the dividend news

Quote:Magellan Petroleum Corporation (NASDAQ:MPET) hit new high today after news that the board of directors of Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. (NYSE:MMP) has increased the partnership’s quarterly cash distribution to 61.25 cents per unit for the period Jan. 1 through March 31, 2014. That represents the 48th distribution rise since its initial public offering in 2001. The first-quarter 2014 distribution is 21% higher as compared to the first-quarter 2013 distribution of 50.75 cents per unit and shows a 5% rise versus the fourth-quarter 2013 distribution of 58.5 cents. The new dividend, which equates to $2.45 per unit on an annualized basis, will be payable on May 15 to unitholders of record at the close of business on May 8.

I read up on dividend and learned that the price usually drop after the dividend date. And it seems that it's common for oil company to give out dividend instead of reinvesting it (though I haven't dig deeper). My question is that shouldn't the price go up 61.25 cents from the price point of the news came out? and what would you do now?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-04-27

(2014-04-27, 06:06 PM)Tom Wrote: First one is MSO. I purchased MSO at 3.58 on 2013-12-02 and sold half of the positions at 4.76 Feb 25th since there was resistance from two years ago. Later MSO reached 2 year high on March 3rd then dropped to 3.8 now which is closed to its 30 weeks MA. I am thinking of repurchasing it back if the volume and price go up for 2,3 days. What's your thoughts? and What would you handle the other half position differently as a trader or investor?

In terms of Stage Analysis this weeks close below the 30 week MA and near to the the previous significant swing low puts this potentially in early Stage 3A. Although, it does still have a strongly rising 30 week MA and the whole pullback has been on average volume. The trader stop loss would be just below the previous swing low, and so it would be very close to being stopped out if you are using the methods rules.

I can't tell you what to do with your open position as it's against the law, as I'm not qualified to give financial advice. But I'd recommend looking at the "Weight of Evidence" from all the charts posted this weekend in the main Stage Analysis thread and the Market Breadth thread, as signs that the broad market is moving into Stage 3 are increasing. And the method recommends against going long when the market is in Stages 3 or 4.

With regards to your dividend question, it's not an area that I have enough knowledge about to give you advice and so hopefully one of the other members might be able to help you with that one.

i hope that helps a little bit at least.

RE: Beginners Questions - JimStudent - 2014-04-27

What is the one time cost in U.S. Dollars? Also, what is the process to move from the monthly fee to the one time sign up fee?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-04-27

(2014-04-27, 11:16 PM)JimStudent Wrote: What is the one time cost in U.S. Dollars? Also, what is the process to move from the monthly fee to the one time sign up fee?

£49.99 is roughly $84 at today's exchange rate, and all you need to do is put in your username and then click the Buy Now on the front page of the forum under the Permanent Access to the Elite Members Board header here: Premium Services and fill out your details again in PayPal. Once that's done, an email comes through to me and I'll change your settings to permanent access. And then I can then stop your monthly subscription on my end if you are not sure how to do it yourself.

Cheers

RE: Beginners Questions - JimStudent - 2014-04-28

Thanks, cancelled monthly and upgraded to one time payment. Gracias.

Just a quick thought to anyone thinking about signing up for this board. The investment you make in this board is one of the best investments you will make in your future. Sometimes there is a learning curve to understand all that is posted, but you can't find a more helpful place to put all the puzzle pieces together to understand the market from Weinstien's perspective.

RE: Beginners Questions - Tom - 2014-05-28

I would like to have someone exam my trading method, please.

I am holding MPET from Nasdaq. It has a two year stage 1 base and I purchased it when it broke out in Feb. Sold half of position during the peak time - my reason is that the support range was around 2.5 - 2.27 from Jan, 2011.

For the other half of the position, I have sell-stop around 1.7 since it has a valid trendline. Since Mid May, MPET has been in correction and is forming support around 1.9. I plan to keep trailing it with my sell-stop.

Does it sound alright? Did I miss anything?

(2014-04-27, 06:33 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-04-27, 06:06 PM)Tom Wrote: First one is MSO. I purchased MSO at 3.58 on 2013-12-02 and sold half of the positions at 4.76 Feb 25th since there was resistance from two years ago. Later MSO reached 2 year high on March 3rd then dropped to 3.8 now which is closed to its 30 weeks MA. I am thinking of repurchasing it back if the volume and price go up for 2,3 days. What's your thoughts? and What would you handle the other half position differently as a trader or investor?

In terms of Stage Analysis this weeks close below the 30 week MA and near to the the previous significant swing low puts this potentially in early Stage 3A. Although, it does still have a strongly rising 30 week MA and the whole pullback has been on average volume. The trader stop loss would be just below the previous swing low, and so it would be very close to being stopped out if you are using the methods rules.

I can't tell you what to do with your open position as it's against the law, as I'm not qualified to give financial advice. But I'd recommend looking at the "Weight of Evidence" from all the charts posted this weekend in the main Stage Analysis thread and the Market Breadth thread, as signs that the broad market is moving into Stage 3 are increasing. And the method recommends against going long when the market is in Stages 3 or 4.

An update on what happened: I sold MSO because it was forming a Head and Shoulder Top since the two shoulders form a trendline and the volume occurred on right shoulder wasn't heaviest. But It didn't fall after forming of the right shoulder. I am still scratching my head and trying to learn from this... Huh