Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - AzzMcD - 2014-03-27

(2014-03-25, 01:39 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-03-24, 11:45 PM)AzzMcD Wrote: Hi All

What a great resource! I have been looking for something like this for years. Has given me the confidence to get back in, thank you.
I was previously in the market, not really knowing what I was doing, however, it seemed like enough when my stops go us out before the GFC. Did not really make any money though.....
A few newbie questions
- Anyone in Australia? I am and would like to see other thoughts on the market down here.
- I have used Incredible Charts before, any thoughts on this? Seems like the MA's etc are easy enough to set up - if I'm doing it right (which I do not know as I have never had anyone to bounce things off).
- Does anyone make any money doing this? Sorry if that's a bit blunt, however, if the answer is yes then I can learn and apply, if the answer is no then I can invest my time & money elsewhere, make sense? :-)

Thanks again for the resource, looking forward to the journey,
Azz

Hi AzzMcD, welcome to the site.

I think your the first Australian we've had on the board, although it's a very diverse bunch from all over the world. The majority however are from the UK and the United States and so they are the stocks that I focus on the most, but I do look at some other countries as well, so would be happy to discuss any Australian stocks with you that have Weinstein's methods requirements.

Incredible Charts is not something I've used, so I can't help you with that other than it's very important that it has the capability to be able to setup the relative performance versus the market indicator, which could be called various names like price comparison, relative strength etc. But see the post on the front of the site here: http://stageanalysis.net/reference/how-to-create-the-mansfield-relative-strength-indicator/558 on how to set it up.

The charting software I use for US stocks is stockcharts.com and for UK stocks and international stocks I use prorealtime.com, which is free for end of day charts, and I know it has Australian stocks available, as I just tested it in it's scanner. So if you use that then there's various info on here about how to set it up and some of the scans I use, and it has some easy how to videos on it's site to get you started. But whatever chart software you use it's important to get the charts setup in a similar way to the book so that you can learn to identify the stages.

The money question. Yes, I can only speak for myself and the people that have told me their progress, but you can certainly make money from Weinstein's method. I've outperformed the market over the last year quite well and was up over 43% a few weeks ago, although I've pulled back to about +25% from the pullback in the last week or so, which you can see from my trading journal in the subscriber section of the site if you need proof. But basically I wouldn't waste my time running the site and posting the watchlist charts each day if the method didn't work, as I only charge a miniscule fee for the subscriber section so that I can cover the running costs of the site. But the purpose of the site is create a collaborative environment where we all trade using the same method and hence can share our research and ideas and help each other learn to be better.

Also Weinstein wouldn't still be running his service to institutional investors for $60,000 a year if the method didn't work, as the service has been running since the 1980's. That was one of the initial things that made me think that there must be something to it. So I set out in 2011 to begin a deep study of the method, and created the original thread on T2W here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technical-analysis/134944-stan-weinsteins-stage-analysis.html to try and find other people using the method.

So I'd recommend once you've read the book, to go through the entire T2W thread and then go through the threads on here and by then you should have a fairly solid understanding of the method, as we've discussed the vast majority of things from the book over the last three years and found interviews, excerpts from books etc. The basics of the method are farily simple and you will learn them quickly, but it will take time to learn the method in-depth and how to apply them properly. But for me personally, it's definitely been a worth while effort as I think it's one of the very best methods of investing from the years of research that I've put in to learning it.

I hope that helps

What a great reply, thank you.
I will go over prorealtime.com and see how I go with it, god to know that it can replicate the charts as needed, I am a visual person so this method really sits well with me.
The money question, thank you for your reply. It is really great to know that you and others are doing well, gives me more drive. It makes sense when considering the fact that people are still buying the Weinstein service!
I have read the book several times over the last 8 yrs or so, with notes last time. Picking up more and more, now it's time to apply and learn more. I am sure the T2W thread will help alot.
I will be in touch soon, thank you.
Azz

RE: Beginners Questions - AzzMcD - 2014-03-31

(2013-08-27, 08:43 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2013-08-27, 08:28 PM)theory6453 Wrote: Question: Where is a good online resource to get charts for overall sectors and sector sub-groups?

You can find them all on stockcharts at: Sector Summary: S&P Sectors and then you can click through to the sub sectors by clicking on the name of the sector.

Another new feature that stockcharts made available for extra members recently was the ability to style the charts in the Gallery View which shows you the intraday, daily, weekly and standard P&F on one page.

To style the daily and weekly charts you just need to set your chart up and make it 800 pixels wide, and then add a new ChartStyle and call it GalleryDaily for the daily chart and GalleryWeekly for the weekly chart, and then the next time you click on the gallery view it will show the chart styles you set up instead of the default charts. Personally, I now use the Gallery View all the time, as it makes working out the stages much easier with multiple time frames on one screen.

Here's the link to the blog post explaining how to set it up in case I didn't explain it very well: http://blogs.stockcharts.com/chartwatchers/2013/06/now-you-can-customize-galleryview-charts-this-might-just-change-everything.html and I've attached a screenshot of the gallery view I use.

Hi Team
Isatrader - does ProReaTime have the ability to screen overall sectors?
Thanks Azz

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 12:48 PM)AzzMcD Wrote: does ProReaTime have the ability to screen overall sectors?

You need to create your own list of the sectors by manually searching for the Tracking Symbol and adding them to your list, and then you can scan that list using the screener. You can find the tracking symbols here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html?&V=W&G=SECTOR_SPDR - you just need to delete the $ symbol in front of each to find them in prorealtime.

RE: Beginners Questions - Sapphire - 2014-03-31

Ok I've decided to go with your trading pick HTM. I'm still struggling with entry points. I think the current trading price is a great entry, but I would like a second opinion.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 05:35 PM)Sapphire Wrote: Ok I've decided to go with your trading pick HTM. I'm still struggling with entry points. I think the current trading price is a great entry, but I would like a second opinion.

The reversal and pullback has been too extreme and occurred on heavy volume. So, it breaks the pullback rules, as volume needs to contract on the pullback towards the breakout point. So is going to need more time imo, as heavy volume on the pullback is not what we want to see.

RE: Beginners Questions - Sapphire - 2014-03-31

Ok, thank you. I will wait on this one

RE: Beginners Questions - MalcolmSm1th - 2014-04-02

I have been going through my finances and I have decided that I need to take control over what is left in my pension pot. I know nothing about SIPPs other than I can't do worse than those idiots looking after my meagre private pension.

Does anyone know of a good book which they can recommend to get me onto the right track as to what to do with SIPPs, how to fill them up and that sort of thing?

Oh, I am UK based by the way. Wales hasn't yet decided to cut themselves off from the Saxon hordes next door. At least, not yet.

- Malc

RE: Beginners Questions - goodtyneguy - 2014-04-03

Malcolm, don't think there is enough to fill a book.

You will probably learn as much as you need to know by visiting a few SIPP providers websites, google's your friend. Some are better than others.

Wikipedia is a start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-invested_personal_pension

I think Osborne changed the rules in the last budget so Wiki may not be fully up to date but the providers should be by now. Something I need to look at.