Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2021-05-29

(2021-05-29, 06:55 PM)Lebo44 Wrote: Interestingly, SCTR score puts more emphasis on the long-term (12-month RS) while IBD rank puts more emphasis on the short and mid-term (3-month and 6-month RS). But I don't think it will make much of a difference. Before I started using SCTR I was using my own indicator which was a simple combination of 3-month and 6-month RS (with weights of 60% and 40% respectively) while ignoring 12-month RS. But the ranks I got were very similar to SCTR. I don't know what conclusion we could draw from it Smile

The key with the SCTR rankings is to not just focus on the strongest RS scores, but the groups that are strongly rising up the rankings on a 1 or 2 week basis. These are where you find the stocks, as you want to get into the leading stocks of the those groups while the groups are strengthening. As once they have a high score. The leaders are already obviously along way into their Stage 2 advances. This is a point that most people miss with the RS rankings. Strong groups can stay strong for a very long time. But to catch Stage 2A breakouts. You need to be looking for the next leading groups that are beginning to rise strongly and with multiple stocks in late Stage 1 or early Stage 2.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Lebo44 - 2021-05-29

The problem is that currently 90% of the sectors are in Stage 2 or in Late Stage 2 in my opinion. Only Utilities seems to be lagging behind. So my assumption is that the groups that are strengthening (rising in the ranking) could be also these groups still in the middle of Stage 2 (or early Stage 2) while other groups are just weakening (f.e. transitioning slowly to late Stage 2/early Stage 3 or just congesting gains/consolidating).

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2021-05-29

(2021-05-29, 08:34 PM)Lebo44 Wrote: The problem is that currently 90% of the sectors are in Stage 2 or in Late Stage 2 in my opinion. Only Utilities seems to be lagging behind. So my assumption is that the groups that are strengthening (rising in the ranking) could be also these groups still in the middle of Stage 2 (or early Stage 2) while other groups are just weakening (f.e. transitioning slowly to late Stage 2/early Stage 3 or just congesting gains/consolidating).

Yep, agree. Which is why Gold miners is the stand out of the RS risers over the last month, as Gold is recovering into Stage 1, while the group is moving into early Stage 2 again, and has got a few leading stocks breaking out in the Stage 2 again, with most of the rest in the group in Stage 1 and starting to shape up. So it's this kind of thing that we look for with the group RS, as it's early in the move and so you can watch stocks and potentially catch their Stage 2 breakouts at the ideal entry point if it comes in the coming weeks / months.

And this week groups like the Semiconductors and Aerospace were strong risers for example. So in Semiconductors you might notice Stage 2 continuation breakouts in major stocks like NVDA ahead of the group which is in Stage 3. So could be an early sign that it too and hence the rest of the stocks in the group will make continuation moves to new highs also. So it draws my attention to that group for deeper study of the individual stocks.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2021-05-30

(2021-05-29, 08:04 PM)isatrader Wrote: The key with the SCTR rankings is to not just focus on the strongest RS scores, but the groups that are strongly rising up the rankings on a 1 or 2 week basis. These are where you find the stocks, as you want to get into the leading stocks of the those groups while the groups are strengthening. As once they have a high score. The leaders are already obviously along way into their Stage 2 advances. This is a point that most people miss with the RS rankings. Strong groups can stay strong for a very long time. But to catch Stage 2A breakouts. You need to be looking for the next leading groups that are beginning to rise strongly and with multiple stocks in late Stage 1 or early Stage 2.

This is perhaps something I should look at in my rankings, the rate of change of the slope of the MAs.  Therefore the output ranking will be of strengthening sectors.  Interesting.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Old Man - 2021-06-02

(2021-03-06, 03:05 PM)GuitarInnovations Wrote: I was wondering if anyone out there is using Tradingview.com to scan for stage 2 charts and what parameters are you using to filter the screener with.

thanks in advance

Hi I am using unusual volume with relative volume above 2 on tradingview.
I have also found FinViz using the strong horizontal useful too, link below hopefully works.
https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=211&s=ta_unusualvolume&f=ind_stocksonly,sh_avgvol_o500,ta_pattern_horizontal,ta_perf_dup&ft=4&ar=180

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2021-06-04

Hi IsaTrader, I believe we have touched on this subject in the past but want to pick it back up again.

I am with Hargreaves Lansdown (Hl.co.uk) but want to move from these as they don't allow me to place stop loses on my trades for US stocks (plus their FX charges are quite high). Do you recommend another broker in the UK that a) allows me to trade US stocks in an ISA (I believe Interactive Brokers don't allow ISA's), b) are cheap with commissions and also have no or very little FX charges?

Thanks

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - fabi470 - 2021-06-07

Hi all,

I am curious about how to find the best sectors/groups. I saw, that stockcharts.com offers a free service, where you can find all 11 sectors. If i understood right, David, you dont look at the SCTR score (which is the Relative Strength Score, i guess), you are looking at each sector etf and determine if it is in stage 2/ breaking out into stage 2. Is that correct? And do you dont "respect" the SCTR score at all?

If one found the top 2-3 secotrs, one should search for the best groups in the sector. I couldnt find that on stockcharts.com, so i guess this is a paid service?

If the Relative Strength score of a sector DOES play a (important) role: what determines the Relative Strength? The performance (e.g. in the last 3months or 6 months), the eps strength or maybe the sales strength of a sector?

I would be really happy to hear from you! I know, these are a lot of questions, but i am trying to understand the concept of the ranking.

Thanks!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - bagholderwithaplan - 2021-06-09

(2021-06-07, 03:57 PM)fabi470 Wrote: Hi all,

I am curious about how to find the best sectors/groups. I saw, that stockcharts.com offers a free service, where you can find all 11 sectors. If i understood right, David, you dont look at the SCTR score (which is the Relative Strength Score, i guess), you are looking at each sector etf and determine if it is in stage 2/ breaking out into stage 2. Is that correct? And do you dont "respect" the SCTR score at all?
From what I've read in the forum so far, I think Isatrader does factor in the SCTR score by looking for the sectors and industries whose scores have increased in the last recent weeks. Of course, the sector should be in a stage 2 uptrend

Quote:If one found the top 2-3 secotrs, one should search for the best groups in the sector. I couldnt find that on stockcharts.com, so i guess this is a paid service?
Here's the link to the different industry groups within each sector     https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html#&t=T
You can click on each industry group and see the individual stocks within each group

Quote:If the Relative Strength score of a sector DOES play a (important) role: what determines the Relative Strength? The performance (e.g. in the last 3months or 6 months), the eps strength or maybe the sales strength of a sector?

Here's a link that explains in detail how the SCTR score is calculated    https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=technical_indicators:sctr

I'm no expert, buy I hope this helps. Isatrader, please feel free to correct/elaborate on my answers, I'm here to learn as well