Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - miche - 2020-12-21

I'm currently in a trading position with SONO. If the stop loss goes under the 50 day MA and recent swing low that would wipe all my current gains. The 50 MA is currently 18.43 and swing low 20.82. Am I missing something? Hoping to lock in gains. Cheers!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 06:52 PM)miche Wrote: I'm currently in a trading position with SONO. If the stop loss goes under the 50 day MA and recent swing low that would wipe all my current gains. The 50 MA is currently 18.43 and swing low 20.82. Am I missing something? Hoping to lock in gains. Cheers!

The stop loss doesn't have to be below the 50 day MA if you are using the Trader method, it's just an ideally below, as gives the stock the full range to move in a position trade. So the recent swing low or a valid trendline, which we don't have yet as there's only been two touch points, and the minimum is three. But the P&F chart shows the Price by Volume support at around 22.15. So a very tight stop loss could go at 21.49 or under the swing low at 19.98 ish.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - miche - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 07:58 PM) Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 06:52 PM)miche Wrote: I'm currently in a trading position with SONO. If the stop loss goes under the 50 day MA and recent swing low that would wipe all my current gains. The 50 MA is currently 18.43 and swing low 20.82. Am I missing something? Hoping to lock in gains. Cheers!

The stop loss doesn't have to be below the 50 day MA if you are using the Trader method, it's just an ideally below, as gives the stock the full range to move in a position trade. So the recent swing low or a valid trendline, which we don't have yet as there's only been two touch points, and the minimum is three. But the P&F chart shows the Price by Volume support at around 22.15. So a very tight stop loss could go at 21.49 or under the swing low at 19.98 ish.

Thanks!  May I ask how did you did the P&F chart? That\'s really neat. I came close with the free version on stock charts. Would you know if trading view has something similar? Any reading/specific links you recommend to learn more about it? I just see allot of different info about it - trying to keep thing simple. cheers!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Jimbo - 2020-12-23

Quite new to method, but I've managed to have some beginners luck . some stocks up over 100% (mainly commodities).

Does anybody know if the traditional investor method as used in the original book still works in the modern markets or has increased volatility changed things .

Thanks

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-12-23

(2020-12-23, 10:31 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Quite new to method, but I've managed to have some beginners luck . some stocks up over 100% (mainly commodities).

Does anybody know if the traditional investor method as used in the original book still works in the modern markets or has increased volatility changed things .

Thanks

Well done on the good start. Having a strong market environment is half the battle. So you have to take advantage when they come along.

In terms of the investor method. It works the same today as it did 30 years ago, with only a few minor tweaks in places, but the core remains the same, and as it's very closely related to the Wyckoff method, which was developed over a 100 years ago and more, as the price and volume action that you see in stocks doesn't change, as human nature and psychology of fear and greed doesn't change.

However, every person will trade it differently. As each person brings in additional noise from anything else that they already know or go onto learn. So if you had 100 people trading the method, they would get 100 completely different results, with some having huge gains, while others make losses.

The method works beautifully and is time tested. But people make mistakes and misinterpret it. So the key is to learn it properly, and try not to be tempted to alter it until you are much more experienced and having success with it.

For me I consider Stage Analysis a foundational method. Which can be built onto later with techniques from other methods such as Wyckoff and CAN SLIM. But it's very important to learn the foundations that Stage Analysis gives you first.

I hope that helps

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - diaz - 2020-12-29

(2020-12-10, 12:09 AM)pcabc Wrote:
(2020-12-09, 06:27 PM)Jimbo Wrote:
(2020-12-09, 03:04 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-12-09, 02:38 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Does anyone have an active link to Stan’s interview or know were to find it.
Thanks

If you mean the financial sense interviews from 2011? It looks like they've been taken down by the website.
Thanks

That's a shame.

Hi all, I was living outside the US when the FSN interviews were coming out and I happened to download them and also trim them down to only Stan's segments. The files are around 155 megabytes. I've uploaded the files to below file share and it will delete in 7 days or 10 downloads. The password for the file is stageanalysis

I'm not sure if it's still published, but if anyone wants to share a copy of a recent GTA with me that would be awesome. 

https://send.tresorit.com/a#uE8FI3eknU2pfC40dwV7Fg

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-12-29

(2020-12-29, 05:17 AM)diaz Wrote: Hi all, I was living outside the US when the FSN interviews were coming out and I happened to download them and also trim them down to only Stan's segments. The files are around 155 megabytes. I've uploaded the files to below file share and it will delete in 7 days or 10 downloads. The password for the file is stageanalysis

I'm not sure if it's still published, but if anyone wants to share a copy of a recent GTA with me that would be awesome. 

https://send.tresorit.com/a#uE8FI3eknU2pfC40dwV7Fg

Thanks diaz, that's awesome. Is great that you kept them.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - miche - 2020-12-30

On IBD they noted an alternative buy point would be on pullback to the 50DMA. Would that be on the 2hr chart? That's what I did - added to FCEL @11.07 which was at the 50DMA on the 2hr chart. However, it didn't have above volume when I purchased it about an hour after open, but hour later volume came in and the stock is up 11%. I was hesitant since it didn't have the volume at the time - but I broke my rules hoping it would work out - got lucky I guess. I was also watching support at around 10.60 - 10.75. Do you ever purchase at support then wait for the bounce? Thanks I'm learning how to read all the different time frames.