Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-08-30

(2020-08-30, 02:31 PM)ianbate222 Wrote: Hi Isa do you mind quick takes on well.to and abt.to both on tsx with very strong sctr scores. Well.to has solid fundamentals and is an online provider of healthcare but extended from 10 may by about 35% so guessing a buy if it pulls back. Abt.to is in the software space close to a rising 10ma so was thinking a buy above all time high of 16.81.
I appreciate your thoughts,
Ian
P.S still watching your lessons and slowly getting the hang of it but realize  your eye can very quickly pick through charts worth looking at and those worth dismissing based on your experience.

Yes, you're getting the hang of it ABT.TO would potential be a buy if it met the criteria on a continuation above the recent high. WELL.TO is extended and starting to pullback, so a technique that I use is to go down to the 2 hour chart and use the same relative settings as the weekly chart, and do Stage Analysis on that timeframe. 

So for example on the 2 hour chart you can see it's entered early Stage 4. So you would wait for the pullback to finish its Stage 4 decline and start to form a Stage 1 base on the 2 hour timeframe. Which once it had formed, would then give you the levels to watch for a potential intraday breakout on the 2 hour chart. Which would then be the pullback entry point on the higher daily/weekly timeframes.

I've attached the 2 hour chart so you can see what I'm referring to.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - ianbate222 - 2020-08-30

Awesome and thank you kindly. So much to learn but like I say you have developed an eye for this so can pick out things very quickly. I will use your 2 hrs method to drill down and wait for a stage 1 to form and await a possible stage 2 entry.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - ianbate222 - 2020-09-02

(2020-08-30, 03:05 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-08-30, 02:31 PM)ianbate222 Wrote: Hi Isa do you mind quick takes on well.to and abt.to both on tsx with very strong sctr scores. Well.to has solid fundamentals and is an online provider of healthcare but extended from 10 may by about 35% so guessing a buy if it pulls back. Abt.to is in the software space close to a rising 10ma so was thinking a buy above all time high of 16.81.
I appreciate your thoughts,
Ian
P.S still watching your lessons and slowly getting the hang of it but realize  your eye can very quickly pick through charts worth looking at and those worth dismissing based on your experience.

Yes, you're getting the hang of it ABT.TO would potential be a buy if it met the criteria on a continuation above the recent high. WELL.TO is extended and starting to pullback, so a technique that I use is to go down to the 2 hour chart and use the same relative settings as the weekly chart, and do Stage Analysis on that timeframe. 

So for example on the 2 hour chart you can see it's entered early Stage 4. So you would wait for the pullback to finish its Stage 4 decline and start to form a Stage 1 base on the 2 hour timeframe. Which once it had formed, would then give you the levels to watch for a potential intraday breakout on the 2 hour chart. Which would then be the pullback entry point on the higher daily/weekly timeframes.

I've attached the 2 hour chart so you can see what I'm referring to.

Well, so much for my staying away from well.to because I thought it was too extended. It was up 30% yesterday and ramping in premarket. No telling how high it runs now. I actually put in a bid at 5.15 yesterday did not get it and just watched it run away. Oh well at least now I am looking at  better qualitiy stocks.
I like that 2 hr method of yours for stocks in stage 2.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2020-09-02

(2020-08-27, 01:28 PM)ianbate222 Wrote: Hi Isa,
I am touching base about RY which you commented on twitter in a reply to my post to you.
You noted a week back it is early stage 1 but I was wondering if it could break above the 2020 high of 80.74 and still not show a buy trigger based on stage analysis unless price breaks above the RS line and big volume comes in?
I also want to point out that the site nextbigtrade screener shows RY is in stage 2 for 4 weeks now so clearly that is not correct so I am following your methodology to determine entries which is why RY is still not a buy.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Ian

NextBigTrade just uses emas to calculate the stages
if 7ema is above 15 and 30ema, thats stage 2
if 30 is greater than 15 and 7, then stage 4

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - ianbate222 - 2020-09-02

(2020-09-02, 01:48 PM)malaguti Wrote:
(2020-08-27, 01:28 PM)ianbate222 Wrote: Hi Isa,
I am touching base about RY which you commented on twitter in a reply to my post to you.
You noted a week back it is early stage 1 but I was wondering if it could break above the 2020 high of 80.74 and still not show a buy trigger based on stage analysis unless price breaks above the RS line and big volume comes in?
I also want to point out that the site nextbigtrade screener shows RY is in stage 2 for 4 weeks now so clearly that is not correct so I am following your methodology to determine entries which is why RY is still not a buy.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Ian

NextBigTrade just uses emas to calculate the stages
if 7ema is above 15 and 30ema, thats stage 2
if 30 is greater than 15 and 7, then stage 4

Thanks for the explanation.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - komputeridiat - 2020-09-15

I'm looking at $TRUP (yeah I had a second look at it too) and I saw a very good looking VCP. I'm thinking about hoping into it however, there is one day with a humongous volume on the 31 Aug 2020 on a down day. According to Minervini, this is not a good sign since we're supposed to look for more higher volumes on up days, and fewer low volumes on down days.

The idea is that the high volumes are buying up the weak holders and freeing up the supplies. As more and more supplies are dwindled up from the weak sellers during the down days with low volumes, it's supposed to mean that fewer and fewer sellers should exist over time as the price slowly crawls back up to the peak. However, what does it mean to have an extremely high volume that produces very little change as seen in the chart ~ -5%?

Does this mean that there is a very high counter buying power such that it soaked up lots of selling pressure thus also freeing up the supplies? Doesn't all high volumes produce a supply vacuum, making it safe to assume that the following there should be little resistance to go either up or down? So if the % change (be it up or down) per volume is very low, and the overall volume being significantly large, can it not be a signal to let the buyers know that there is low resistance the next day and that large %change can happen with significantly lower volume?

Response welcome!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - ianbate222 - 2020-09-20

Hi Isa,
I was hoping that you could take a quick look at bus.v on the Toronto venture exchange. It is Grande West Transportation.
I believe the stage 2 breakout price is over 0.75 but just want to confirm. It would need high volume ( currently 30 ma is still declining). I would post a chart but having problems on my end so it has nothing to do with your system.

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Ian

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-09-20

(2020-09-20, 12:24 PM)ianbate222 Wrote: I was hoping that you could take a quick look at bus.v on the Toronto venture exchange. It is Grande West Transportation.
I believe the stage 2 breakout price is over 0.75 but just want to confirm. It would need high volume ( currently 30 ma is still declining). I would post a chart but having problems on my end so it has nothing to do with your system.

The recent lower high at 0.66 would be the new level for the top of Stage 1 base. But is still a long way to get there, and this one had a very large decline of over 90% of its value. So you'd want a much bigger base ideally and exceptional volume as it's a really big laggard. Hence, I'd put it on a watchlist with an alert, but otherwise you'd just check it in a few months or so. Personally, it would be avoided. As I don't want to trade stocks that have had big declines ever as there's normally a reason for it.