Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions-ONC.TO - marry123 - 2020-05-17

(2020-05-17, 06:50 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-05-17, 06:11 PM)marry123 Wrote: Hi Isa,
I was hoping you could comment on ONC.TO. It is a biotech and the chart looks very good, I think. It broke out on huge volume in January (ran from around 1.50-8), it pulled back and is now  back above a rising  30 MA and above the weekly cloud. Last week very good volume came in and it is not too far from the 30 MA. The only issue I can see is that the 50 MA is below the 150 MA on the daily still so maybe I would need to enter if the 50 MA gets above the 150 MA on the daily. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi marry123,

Technically it is looking promising short term, with a volume pop and contraction on the recent early move, and so a close above $3ish would be a potential short term buy point. However, it's highly speculative so not something I'd consider personally, as the percentage distance of the -2x the 52 week ATR max stop loss that I use would be -49% below the current price, and I prefer for this figure to be more in the -10% range personally, as anything below that becomes exponentially more difficult to recover from. So is a reasonable short term setup if it breaks out, but extremely high risk imo as its average weekly range is around 25%.

Thanks, Isa. Yes, this is a highly speculative early stage cancer treatment play so not something to invest too much into. More like a lottery ticket.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions-ONC.TO - pcabc - 2020-05-17

(2020-05-17, 08:08 PM)marry123 Wrote:
(2020-05-17, 06:50 PM)isatrader Wrote: Hi marry123,

Technically it is looking promising short term, with a volume pop and contraction on the recent early move, and so a close above $3ish would be a potential short term buy point. However, it's highly speculative so not something I'd consider personally, as the percentage distance of the -2x the 52 week ATR max stop loss that I use would be -49% below the current price, and I prefer for this figure to be more in the -10% range personally, as anything below that becomes exponentially more difficult to recover from. So is a reasonable short term setup if it breaks out, but extremely high risk imo as its average weekly range is around 25%.

Thanks, Isa. Yes, this is a highly speculative early stage cancer treatment play so not something to invest too much into. More like a lottery ticket.
Also worth looking at the apread, it is about 3.7% at present, although that will change when the markets open.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - mucked4u - 2020-05-18

What gauges are we using for market stage. Wish to add them to my charts.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-05-18

(2020-05-18, 03:08 AM)mucked4u Wrote: What gauges are we using for market stage. Wish to add them to my charts.

All you need is Price, Volume and Relative Strength versus the S&P 500. Go to Stage Analysis Study Guide - Questions and Answers to see an example of how to setup your weekly and daily charts

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - mucked4u - 2020-05-18

(2020-05-18, 08:18 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-05-18, 03:08 AM)mucked4u Wrote: What gauges are we using for market stage. Wish to add them to my charts.

All you need is Price, Volume and Relative Strength versus the S&P 500. Go to Stage Analysis Study Guide - Questions and Answers to see an example of how to setup your weekly and daily charts

Many thanks. Have been away many years (6) and am just beginning to start relearning and its a long grind.
Isatrader you are doing a great job and absolutely appreciated.

jim

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Bob hope - 2020-05-24

Hoping for some guidance, looking at EOLS and the last four hours on friday jumped 4 to 6 and then back to 4.5, day to higher but that large increase and decrease is that a concern? I was hoping to trade in at 4.48 with a stop loss at 3.60, this is little higher risk at 20% than I would perfer. But volume is x10 weekly average, just broke above resistance, rs rising all though just belwo zero. Any help would be appreciated. Kind regards

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-05-24

(2020-05-24, 07:29 PM)Bob hope Wrote: Hoping for some guidance, looking at EOLS and the last four hours on friday jumped 4 to 6 and then back to 4.5, day to higher but that large increase and decrease is that a concern? I was hoping to trade in at 4.48 with a stop loss at 3.60, this is little higher risk at 20% than I would perfer. But volume is x10 weekly average, just broke above resistance, rs rising all though just belwo zero. Any help would be appreciated.  Kind regards

This is not the kind of stock that we trade with Stage Analysis method as it's breaks a number of the methods fundamental rules. As it's in a deep Stage 4 decline, with terrible Relative Strength versus the S&P 500, and under a huge amount of Resistance. So it's literally the opposite of what we look for.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Bob hope - 2020-05-24

(2020-05-24, 09:22 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-05-24, 07:29 PM)Bob hope Wrote: Hoping for some guidance, looking at EOLS and the last four hours on friday jumped 4 to 6 and then back to 4.5, day to higher but that large increase and decrease is that a concern? I was hoping to trade in at 4.48 with a stop loss at 3.60, this is little higher risk at 20% than I would perfer. But volume is x10 weekly average, just broke above resistance, rs rising all though just belwo zero. Any help would be appreciated.  Kind regards

This is not the kind of stock that we trade with Stage Analysis method as it's breaks a number of the methods fundamental rules. As it's in a deep Stage 4 decline, with terrible Relative Strength versus the S&P 500, and under a huge amount of Resistance. So it's literally the opposite of what we look for.

Thank you for the reply, also shows I need to learn aot more.