US Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion
03-22-2013, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 02:20 PM by isatrader.)

Pipeline Sector Breakout

Three Energy Pipelines stocks that made continuation breakouts yesterday to new highs - KMR, NGLS and MMLP. Attached is the daily charts.

I've also attached the Dow Jones US Pipelines Index ($DJUSPL) sector weekly, daily and P&F charts that shows that the sector as a whole is also breaking out to new highs and showing good relative strength versus the S&P 500.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2013, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 12:15 AM by isatrader.)

RE: Watchlist - Traders method

Blackberry is one we've looked at fairly recently on the old thread on 5th Feb and suggested a trader stop of 11.38 at the time, which held during the February pullback. BBRY has now made a new pivot and breakout this week and so I think you could potentially do additional buying with a tighter trader stop for the new position just under 2x ATR(200) around current prices at 14.49, which is below the pivot low of 14.65 and the half point as it falls close to it. The original stop loss shouldn't be moved yet though imo, as the price is still below the previous swing high from January. Attached is the daily chart.

[UPDATE] This one had a terrible day to close the week, so am removing it from my watchlist as I don't like the price action we saw today. Attached is the updated chart.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
03-22-2013, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 11:25 PM by isatrader.)

ATR Big Movers

Attached is the table of this weeks big movers in the S&P 500 relative to their 200 day Average True Range, and also the charts of a few of them. Most have had big breakouts and so could be potential pullback plays, but YHOO looks to have a reasonable risk reward for a continuation breakout play.

isatrader

03-29-2013, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 09:11 PM by isatrader.)

ATR Big Movers

Attached is the table of this weeks big movers in the S&P 500 relative to their 200 day Average True Range. The majority of which were in the three defensive sectors - XLP, XLV and XLU.

isatrader

04-14-2013, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 11:31 PM by goodtyneguy.)

Gold broke down and closed below crucial support last Friday on heavy volume. A potential stage 4 is in progress.

The fly in the ointment maybe the fact that Silver has held support in a similar chart pattern so caution should be exercised with this at the moment in my opinion. Besides the stop is 3.79(ATR200) so it is probably better to wait for a pullback to the BD level anyway for an entry point.

What do you think isa ?
04-15-2013, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 01:00 PM by isatrader.)

(04-14-2013 11:26 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote:  Gold broke down and closed below crucial support last Friday on heavy volume. A potential stage 4 is in progress.

The fly in the ointment maybe the fact that Silver has held support in a similar chart pattern so caution should be exercised with this at the moment in my opinion. Besides the stop is 3.79(ATR200) so it is probably better to wait for a pullback to the BD level anyway for an entry point.

What do you think isa ?

Well as you noted in your daily chart, it broke down into early Stage 4A in December and went sideways for a bit before making it's first continuation move in February, and then consolidating again for another month before this latest continuation move. So it's already had a four month Stage 4 move to consider.

I'm personally leaning towards being very cautious here due to the large amount of false breakouts/breakdowns recently, as a lot of stops were taken out on Friday and so there could be a retest of the breakdown level straight away at which point you'll either get a better risk reward to go short, or the buyers will come in strongly looking to bottom fish like we saw on the Treasuries major breakdown in March.

I think it will be interesting to watch the US open, as GLD holders are a big part of the Gold market these days and so might have seen the headlines at the weekend and put sell orders in to be executed at the open on Monday. So if that does happen, then it will be important to see if it's absorbed by buy orders or not imo, as if it isn't then obviously Gold would be in trouble with the next support zone in low 1400s.

[Update]: Looks like it's tanked during the Asian session overnight and is already testing the low 1400s

isatrader

04-15-2013, 06:09 PM

We are on $1375 as I type, Weinstein did say in SFPIBABM "the bigger the top the bigger the drop". IIRC he said that pull backs to the BD level are less likely than pullbacks to the BO level on long opportunities.

This top played out about 19 months so perhaps the lesson for me here is to place sell stop orders on tops of this magnitude (time) rather than waiting for a close below the BD level?
04-17-2013, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 06:30 PM by isatrader.)

Exxon Mobil (XOM) - Stage 4A

Exxon Mobil (XOM) looks to have made a Stage 4A breakdown today, however it's currently testing the recent horizontal support, so needs a close below 84.70 for further confirmation.

Exxon has the second biggest market cap behind Apple, and so is an important stock to monitor imo.

isatrader